Sunday, November 13, 2016

My birthday





My birthday was a bit ago and people had some fun.  I mentioned my birthday was 1 Nov the second to last week in October while eating lunch in someone else's office.  He was like, "What?" and then wrote it on his calendar so he wouldn't forget.  That's when I knew something was going to happen.  I guess I wanted people to take notice, but I didn't really want a big fuss.  When I got to work, one of my co-workers had already gone around and told everyone so I got a lot of happy birthdays.  At lunch, I went to taco bell and got a burrito because I was told I needed to be back at 1130 eating lunch in the guy's office who wrote my birthday down.  It's the best lunch eating office because it has comfortable chairs.  There was a joke going around that I was turning 21 so I could drink now.  I showed up and was the only one who had lunch.  Apparently everyone else tried to go to the commissary for a sandwich but the commissary is closed on Tuesdays.  So then they all sat there and watched me eat my burrito.  I told them I could eat it later, but they were like, no, no, we have to watch you eat it.  When I say "they" I mean myself, two chiefs, and a petty officer.  It was a small gathering, we have a lot of people working on projects that cause them to travel.  After I finished my burrito, they pulled out two four or six inch cakes and put a 2 candle on one and a 1 candle on the other.  They sang happy birthday and we had cake.  I then pulled out a bottle of sparkling apple cranberry juice, poured it into plastic cups, and we all drank to my turning 21.

The real party was supposed to happen on the third.  The movie Dr. Strange was coming out and since all my friends are sci-fi/ superhero folks we were going to go see it.  BUT Thursday came around and we were all exhausted.  Work is super busy, so we pushed it out a week.  On Sunday, the RS president gave me the chocolates and the card.  On Friday, we went to Applebee's and then to the movie.  The cool part was, Friday was Veteran's Day and Applebee's does a free meal, so I got a free meal, free dessert with my birthday, and I drank a water.  I still left a three dollar tip, even though I paid nothing.  I was going to have a frozen lemonade, but they were out.  Then I got presents.  I got two Enterprises.  One is a figure and one is a coin holder.  In the military you have the opportunity to collect coins from various commands.  I only have six or seven.  I'm not that into it.  But some people literally have a hundred.  And there are all these elaborate coin holders.  So mine will be unique.  The awkward part is, this was originally supposed to be a gift for someone else, but the person who made it is mad at that guy so he gave it to me instead.  There are two of us trying to solve the feud between the two, but so far no luck.

Then we went and saw Dr. Strange.  It was different.  I can't decide if I liked it or not.  I liked the character a lot, but I didn't like the weird special effects.  Some of the effects were awesome, but Dr. Strange travels to different dimensions and the portrayal of the dimensions was not so great.  All the colors were these weird neon colors.  But the effects when he was on Earth and the fight scenes were really good.  Overall I liked it, but I'm undecided on how much.  It was clever and I appreciate that.  It also has the same, cheeky humor that a lot of the other Marvel movies have.

No comments:

Post a Comment