 |
| This is the house I could have lived in. Beach front property, same landlord. But I didn't want to pull in right off a busy highway. The people who did move in are really nice. They go to church with me. The wife was just called as the primary chorister. |
 |
| This is the governor's complex. That big chalice like thing in the back is a symbol of Guam but I can't remember what it's called. You can climb up it, but it's only open from 9-3 on weekdays, so I'm working. |
 |
| And this giant purple cow at a gas station. |
 |
| This flower turned into the weird looking fruit a few photos down. For whatever reason, these didn't load in order. |
 |
| There are lots of national cemeteries and graveyards on Guam. |
 |
| This is the city of Hagatna. |
 |
| My friend stopping to take a photo at one of the beaches along the way. |
 |
| Me taking a photo of the same beach. |
 |
| The buildings in the background are in Tumon. That is the tourist area, hence the hotels. |
 |
| Hibiscus. I haven't seen too many of these, but on this walk, there were a ton, so I'm guessing I'm not looking hard enough. |
 |
| This is the weird looking fruit or pod or whatever that the flower I mentioned earlier turns into. |
 |
| Houses on a hill. All the houses on top are super fancy. I need to figure out how to drive up there so I can go see them. The cliff is really steep, though. |
 |
| Another cow, this is in Tumon. As I said, pictures are out of order. |
 |
| The power lines are on concrete posts, which are not aesthetic at all, but they are more reliable then wood in this tropical storm prone area. They all had different fish painted on them. Apparently it's some sort of environmental conservation thing. I never noticed until I slowed down and walked it. Again this is more north. |
 |
| I'm including all these pictures of buildings because Bryce said he wanted to see what Guam looks like. So this is what all the cities on Guam look like. Except the buildings actually look good in most of these photos. You can't see how run down most of them are. |
 |
| Another cow. Cows are a thing here. You are supposed to go around the island and try to find all of them. I forget how many there are. |
So these are a sampling of pictures from the back half of my really, really long walk. We did make it to base, but around mile 17 or 18 it actually started getting a little difficult. So we took less pictures. After the walk, my legs were pretty tired. And my knees and ankles hurt some. It was interesting. I kept thinking of the pioneers and everyone else in history that had to make walks like this while pushing handcarts or carrying heavy loads. No wonder it took forever to get somewhere. It also brought the phrase "a day's journey for a Nephite" to life. I probably won't do this again, but it is something to talk about. I need to get out and explore more. I was good about that when I first got here, but now it's like, eh. Probably because my friend who was really explory left. Now I have to be like, "you want go out, you want to go out," with people.
No comments:
Post a Comment