Sunday, March 12, 2017

Arriving

Smallest airport I've been to.  This was the only plane there and it just landed.  Everyone is walking to the airport randomly because there's no traffic to watch out for.  Tourists hung out on the tarmac taking selfies with the plane.  Kind of like me, but I took mine while still walking.

You see those people walking in the door?  That's where you come in from the tarmac.  Right to the baggage claim.  Which is loaded from the portion that rotates outside.

This is the whole airport.

This is the resort we are staying at.  They picked up a large group in addition to us so there were two vehicles.  We rode in the white van, but this one was more exciting.

Bangkok also had wiring like this.  No safety hazards here, just move along.

I think these motorbike taxis are cool.

Random housing.

Not sure if this is construction or deconstruction, just thought it looked cool.
We arrived in Dumeguete on time.  We walked off the plane and into a small building they sometimes use as an airport.  From there, we got our bags and headed to the shuttle.  The ride was about 45 minutes and we saw such cool things.  There were kids playing basketball in spite of a cow standing stubbornly on the court.  They just played around it.  There were all kinds of motorbikes with all kinds of people.  My favorite was watching the moms trying to ride the motorbikes with their small kids.  Safety standards here are not what they are in the US.  The cars also just drive wherever.  Supposedly there are lanes, but eh, who need 'em?  We stopped shortly after we started because the big group that we came with all said they needed toothbrushes and whatnot.  Ok.  So we stopped.  Then the driver comes back out and says the group wants to stop at the mall as well.  Whhaaaat???

Carina answered before I could (I was in shock as to why anyone would want to go to the mall after spending all day on a plane) and said "What!  No!  No, we are not doing that, we need to get to the hotel so we can plan our dives."  So the group all had a discussion and those who wanted to go to the mall went in the yellow bus and the rest of us went in the white van.  We finally get to the turn off and it's just this random, gravel road that runs along some run down houses.  I was like... "I thought this was supposed to be a fancy resort?"  All of a sudden, through the trees you see these nice looking buildings.  It's the resort and it's nice.  Thank goodness.

I'm going to wait to post pics of the resort until tomorrow because the sun was already going down when we got here.  So I need better pics.  They took us straight to our orientation brief where they talked to us about the resort while giving us our free back and neck massages.  That was nice, but a little awkward.  Then we got a free fruit platter.  Then we went to our room, unpacked and went back to dinner.  Dinner was very good, but I don't have any pics.  Overall this place is amazing.  The resort is super nice.  The town reminded me of Cambodia without the French influence.  The boats for the dives look great.  So tomorrow we shall see what adventures await.  I'm super, super tired so I'm going to bed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment