Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Last day of diving

















All these pictures are still from the first day.  Today was fun, we went to Apo island.  We got to ride in the big boat, not just the small speed boat.  Apo is a beautiful island.  When people say "trapped on a deserted tropical island" Apo would fit that bill.  The reefs were huge.  All the dives around Dumaguete have been small things here and there.  But Apo has gigantic reef structures.  It was worth the extra money to include that in our trip.  The first dive went over a cliff that was filled with reefs.  That was the best one.  It was beautiful.

The second dive wasn't as good, but it was still amazing.  My camera, again broke.  I don't know what is wrong with it, but it kept saying SD card error.  I had reset it in the morning and it worked alright for the first dive (thank goodness), but it stopped working on the second.

We ate lunch following the second dive and the staff on the boat put out plates with different types of food and we served ourselves buffet style.  The had the best chocolate cake for dessert.  It was super dense, almost like eating cake fudge.  That's the way I like it.  After lunch, we were serenaded by the staff singing and playing the guitar.  It was interesting.  They played "we all live in a yellow submarine" and I thought it was an interesting choice.  Some people chose to jump into the water and swim during this time.  The water was beautifully clear.

Our last dive was also good, but my camera took another pooper!  I had reset it again during lunch.  So I don't know what is going on with it.  That will have to wait until I get back to Guam to figure out.  At least I was able to get the full first dive and partials of the next two.  We are supposed to go see whale sharks tomorrow, though, so I don't know what I'm going to do if it doesn't work.

Then we came home and did a night dive.  I'm glad we re-did it.  They took us to the same spot, which was alright, but it gave me a chance to dive it again without the current.  It was a crazy ride on Monday when we did it.  This time, we actually had the opportunity to look around instead of focusing on how to not get swept away.  Our guide this time was a little difficult to follow.  I would think I was heading in the right direction with everyone behind me but then I would turn around and they were gone.  When I led, I guess it was my fault for not checking behind me often enough.  But sometimes we would be about parallel and it would still happen.  I'd see his light far off and then think, great, now I have to chase him down.  Still, it was fun.

Dinner tonight was BBQ Filipino style.  It was alright.  The food is good, but nothing here stood out to me as outstanding.  I plan on writing an entire bog post dedicated to the food here, so I won't go into details here.

Ear update.  My ear has been fine since that first dive.  It was a little sore the rest of the day, but Tuesday and Wednesday it was fine.  I noticed, however, that on the night dive it appeared a little hard to clear.  At dinner it seemed to hurt a bit when I touched it.  Now I feel like it is swelling shut!  I googled it and I think I have swimmer's ear.  I'll have to wait and see how I feel tomorrow, but so far, all signs point in that direction.  I don't think it is a pressure injury because there isn't a whole lot of pain or other things associated with it.  At least not yet.  I just hope it is swimmer's ear because then I can still fly home on time.

It's an early day tomorrow, so just the basics again.

No comments:

Post a Comment